Sewer Damage Prevention
Causes of Backups
Residential garbage disposals are permitted in Limerick Township, however these can be potential problems for uneducated users. Sewer overflows and backups can cause health hazards, damage home interiors and threaten the environment. An increasingly common cause is sewer pipes blocked by grease. Grease gets into the sewer from household drains as well as from poorly maintained grease traps in restaurants and other businesses.
Grease is found in such things as meat fats, lard, cooking oil, shortening, food scraps and more. Too often grease is washed into the plumbing system, usually from the kitchen sink. Grease sticks to the insides of the sewer pipes (both on your property and in the streets). Over time, the grease can build up and block the entire pipe. Commercial additives, including detergents that claim to dissolve grease may pass grease down the line and cause problems in other areas.
Consequences of Damage
The results can be:
- An increase in operation and maintenance costs for local sewer departments which causes higher sewer bills for customers
- Expensive and unpleasant cleanup that often must be paid for by you, the homeowner
- Potential contact with disease causing organisms
- Raw sewage overflowing in your home or your neighbor’s home
- Raw sewage overflowing into parks, yards and streets